Sunday, February 6, 2011

BENEFITS of SPINACH LEAVES

Calorie for calorie, leafy green vegetables like spinach with its delicate texture and jade green color provide more nutrients than any other food.
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin E. In addition, it is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium.
How to Select and Store:
Choose spinach that has vibrant deep green leaves and stems with no signs of yellowing. The leaves should look fresh and tender, and not be wilted or bruised. Avoid those that have a slimy coating as this is an indication of decay.
Store fresh spinach loosely packed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator crisper where it will keep fresh for about five days. Do not wash it before storing as the moisture will cause it to spoil. Avoid storing cooked spinach as it will not keep very well.
Benefits os Spinach:
1.The keys to the benefits of spinach for bone health comes in the form of Vitamin K, Vitamin A and magnesium. Spinach, along with other green vegetables brussel sprouts and broccoli, is one of the best food sources of Vitamin K.
2.Spinach for Heart & Cardiovascular Health - Eat more spinach. Your heart and arteries will thank you.
3.Spinach is rich in the mineral potassium and low in sodium. Potassium or potassium-rich diets are an effective first line of defence against high blood pressure / hypertension. Potassium salts are commonly recommended as a substitute of sodium chloride (common table/cooking salt) for people at risk of or suffering from high blood pressure. Potassium lowers blood pressure. Sodium raises blood pressure. Spinach, being high in potassium and low in sodium is therefore a clear choice for your cardiovascular health.
4.Beta carotene, abundant in spinach, is a precursor to Vitamin A. The human body converts beta carotene into Vitamin A. Deficiencies of Vitamin A (resulting primarily from inadequate intake of food sources of beta carotene, such as spinach or carrots) result in poor eyesight and most significantly poor night vision and even night blindness. Other eye-related symptoms of a Vitamin A deficiency include dry eyes, eye ulceration, burning and itching eyes.

20 comments:

  1. Related topic in this blog I am finding many place but this too batter information in this blog which I couldn’t find anywhere everything is beautiful and interesting. All thoughts of writer are visible in this blog. You should continue make this type of blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess, almost everyone knows about 'Popeye'. He is one of my favorite character and i like spinach since my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. All readers will definitely like this post. Looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This you are especially honored. I am dazzled with this article. Indeed this article is intriguing and worth perusing. Definitely visit your blog again.

    ReplyDelete